The first day of spring this year is March 20th, but a lot of people in the Philadelphia area have already started enjoying some brisk days in the 50s and 60s! As the temperatures continue to rise, you need to make sure your home is ready for spring. At Dowd’s Mechanical, Heating & Air Conditioning, we can help you with all your spring HVAC maintenance to ensure your home is in tip-top shape for the coming seasons! Much like a car that has sat in the garage for months at a time, your cooling system is going to need a little tuning to be ready and operate at max efficiency.
Get your Philadelphia area home ready for spring by calling Dowd’s Mechanical, Heating & Air Conditioning today at 215-607-6448 or fill out the form to the right!
Spring HVAC Maintenance
As we’ve mentioned countless times in our blog, your HVAC systems need to be inspected once a year—once before the cooling season for the AC and once before the heating season for your furnace. Routine maintenance goes a long way toward avoiding costly repairs and premature replacements down the road and can help you enjoy more efficient and consistent performance throughout the year.
So what are some of the things that will happen during your air conditioning maintenance?
- Check thermostat settings – this will help ensure your AC and thermostat are communicating correctly and that your system will be as efficient as possible. If you don’t already have a programmable thermostat, we may recommend an upgrade to that or a home automation system to help improve your overall efficiency and performance.
- Tighten all electrical connections – faulty electrical connections are a big concern because they can cause unsafe operation of your system and reduce the life of major components. Our technicians will tighten all the electrical connections and measure the voltage and currents of motors.
- Lubricate all moving parts – the last thing you want to do is spend more money cooling your home this summer—and any poorly lubricated parts will cause more friction, meaning they will require more energy to use. Friction also generates heat, which over time can cause major damage to your system.
- Check the condensate drain – a plugged up condensate drain can be a major concern because it can lead to water damage in your house and affect your humidity levels—which can in turn negatively impact your indoor air quality.
- Check controls of the system – we’ll make sure that the system starts, stops, and operates properly and safely.
- Clean dirty coils – dirty evaporator and condenser coils reduce your air conditioner’s ability to cool your home and can cause your system to run longer and work harder to do the same job—that means increasing your energy costs and decreasing the life of your equipment!
- Check refrigerant levels – if you have too much or too little refrigerant in your air conditioner, it won’t operate effectively.
- Clean blower components – airflow problems can reduce your system’s efficiency by up to 15 percent (according to the Department of Energy), so it’s important to ensure proper airflow by cleaning and adjusting the blower components.
- Change air filters – although this is something you should be doing every 1 – 3 months anyway (at least once a month during the peak of the summer), your tech will swap out a dirty filter to improve efficiency and performance.
Schedule Your Air Conditioning Maintenance Today
Make sure your home is ready for spring, contact Dowd’s Mechanical, Heating & Air Conditioning today to schedule your air conditioning maintenance in Philadelphia, Bensalem, Yardley, or the surrounding PA areas!
Find out why your friends and neighbors rely on us—contact us online or by phone at (215) 515-2999!