Pretty much everyone knows that once one person gets sick in your office, it’s all downhill from there—it’s inevitable that everyone else in the office (even hand sanitizer Harry) is going to catch it too, right? The pros at Dowd’s Mechanical, Heating & Air Conditioning are here to tell you that doesn’t have to be the case! There are things you can do to eliminate the epidemics—keep reading to learn more.
If you’re experiencing widespread illnesses in your office, give us a call to find out if your HVAC system is the culprit—our number is (215) 515-2999! You can also fill out the yellow contact form to the right.
How Could It Possibly Be the HVAC System?
That’s a good question! Your HVAC system directly contributes to your building’s indoor air quality—it’s constantly drawing in the indoor air, carrying it through ductwork and air handling units, and redistributing it back throughout the office. This can lead to serious problems if you haven’t had your system checked in the last year or more!
Not only does your system need to be inspected annually to ensure it is working properly, other preventative maintenance needs to be done such as:
- Replacing all the air filters – if your filters are clogged and dirty, not only can they reduce airflow and the efficiency of your HVAC system, they can contribute to more polluted indoor air!
- Inspecting the ductwork for tears, gaps, or holes – much like dirty filters, this also dramatically reduces your system’s efficiency—but even worse than that, it allows particles and bacteria to enter your ductwork and be redistributed back into your building without being filtered.
- Maintaining temperature and humidity levels – for optimal air quality, the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) recommends maintaining temperatures between 68 – 78 degrees and 40 – 60 percent relative humidity. If your system cannot properly regulate these standards, your air quality can suffer for it.
What Can You Do to Improve Indoor Air Quality?
The first step to improving your indoor air quality is scheduling a system inspection with a professional commercial HVAC company such as Dowd’s Mechanical, Heating & Air Conditioning. We can check your system inside and out to ensure that:
- It is designed efficiently – a poorly designed system may not be able to meet the needs of your office and can contribute to reduced energy efficiency and poor indoor air quality.
- It is well maintained – including any preventative maintenance that is required.
- It is working properly – if there are any issues with your system, we will be able to identify them and tell you the best way to address them.
- It isn’t contributing to poor indoor air quality – this will help you improve the overall health of your office.
Schedule Your Appointment Today
Dowd’s Mechanical, Heating, and Air Conditioning has all your commercial HVAC needs covered. Our experienced professionals can visit your building and inspect your system to ensure it isn’t contributing to poor indoor air quality or any other issues.
Contact us online or by phone at (215) 515-2999 to schedule an appointment!