We know at Dowd Mechanical Heating & Air Conditioning, one of the most common questions we get around springtime is how to switch heat pumps from heat to cool. Although this is a generally simple procedure, it’s important that your HVAC system and your home are ready for the changing season.
How to Switch from Heat to Cool
Although there have been a lot of technological advances in the world of heating and cooling lately, including advanced energy efficiency and systems that you can control with your smartphone, your heat pump isn’t going to switch from heat to cool by itself. Here are the things you’re going to need to do to prepare your system for the switch:
- Change your thermostat setting – easily the most important step is changing your thermostat from heat mode to cool mode. Most thermostats have a small switch or a button to press to switch from one to the other.
- Update fan settings – make sure your fan is set to auto at all times. This will ensure your system isn’t wasting any energy blowing the fan when it isn’t necessary.
- Check your filters – you need to check and switch out your filters approximately every 1 – 3 months, and switch from heat to cool for the season is a great time to check on your air filters, too. If they look dirty, it’s time to swap them out.
- Set the temperature – when you’re switching your heat pump from heat to cool, it’s most important to set the correct temperature. During the spring and summer, we recommend setting the temperature to the highest comfortable degree possible because this will save you a lot of money on your utility bills.
- Schedule an inspection – every time you switch from heating to cooling (or vice versa) you should schedule an inspection for your HVAC system. This preventative maintenance gives our professionals the chance to look over your equipment and ensure everything is in working order. We can also locate minor problems before they can become major disasters later.
Get Help with Your Heat Pump Today
If you’re switching your heat pump from heat to cool, schedule your annual maintenance with Dowd’s Mechanical, Heating & Air Conditioning in Philadelphia today. We can help you ensure a smooth transition from heating to cooling so your home can stay comfortable no matter the season.