Many homeowners in the Philadelphia area want to find out how to reduce energy consumption—not only is it good for the environment, but it can save you a lot of money on your monthly utility bills! At Dowd’s Mechanical, Heating & Air Conditioning, we have been helping your friends and neighbors manage their energy usage for over 50 years, and we have the tips and tricks you need to start lowering your monthly bills!
Find out how you can reduce your energy consumption today by calling Dowd’s Mechanical, Heating & Air Conditioning at (215) 515-2999 or filling out the form to the right.
How to Reduce Energy Consumption in Your Home
There are many ways you can reduce your energy consumption:
- Change the temperature – one of the easiest ways you can reduce energy consumption in your home is by simply changing the temperature on the thermostat. There isn’t that much difference between one degree and the next, but it can mean a lot of savings! Just turn the temperature up during the summer and down during the winter.
- Use a programmable thermostat – another great way to reduce your energy consumption is by installing a programmable thermostat. These thermostats allow you to set up automatic temperature changes throughout the day to optimize your energy use. For instance, during the winter, you can set your programmable thermostat to automatically lower the temperature during the day while everyone is away at work or school and raise it again just before everyone gets home!
- Install a home automation system – a home automation system gives you complete control of your home, including your energy use. This system will allow you to do many things, including using energy savings mode while you’re away and adjusting the temperature while you’re at work.
- Maintain your HVAC systems (and upgrade when necessary) – much like your car needs a regular tune-up, your HVAC systems need to be regularly inspected in order to perform in peak condition. Your systems need to be checked annually—once in the early spring for your AC and once in the late summer for your furnace or heating system. This will help improve the energy efficiency of your system. Additionally, if your furnace or AC is 15 years old or more, it’s important for you to looking into your HVAC replacement options because they are going to save you more money in the long-run.
- Use your curtains – did you know that using your curtains can actually have an impact of the amount of heat loss you experience in your home? During the summer, you should keep your curtains closed whenever possible during the day to prevent the heat from the sun to enter your home, and during the winter, you should do the opposite—that allows the warmth from the sun to be cast into the room.
- Install weatherstripping – another very simple way to reduce your energy consumption is to install weatherstripping on your windows and doors. This is as easy as peeling and sticking the weatherstripping wherever it is necessary, but it can keep a lot of air from coming in and out of your home.
Let Us Help You Lower Your Energy Consumption
If you want to reduce your energy consumption in Philadelphia, Bensalem, Yardley, or the surrounding PA areas, call Dowd’s Mechanical, Heating & Air Conditioning. Whether you want to upgrade your home’s heating and air conditioning system or you want to schedule annual maintenance, we can help.
Contact us online or by phone at 215-607-6448 to schedule an appointment!